CanLII provides free access to Canadian court cases, legislation, and commentary. It was founded, and is paid for, by the lawyers and notaries who are members of Canada’s provincial and territorial law societies, which comprise the Federation of Law Societies of Canada.
Lexum is a software company that designs and operates online legal information delivery products and specializes in the management and the publishing of legal information over the internet. It’s most well-known undertaking is the services it provides to CanLII with respect to the design, development and operation of it’s publishing platform. In 2018 Lexum was acquired by CanLII.
Crystal has served on the CanLII Board since 2016, and has acted as Vice-Chair of the board since her nomination. She joined the Lexum board in 2018 at the time of Lexum’s acquisition by CanLII.
The composition of the new CanLII Board is as follows:
- Crystal O’Donnell (Chair), Founder of Heuristica Discovery Counsel LLP
- Antoine Aylwin, Co-leader of the Privacy & Cybersecurity Group at Fasken
- Christina Hendricks, Ph.D., Professor of Teaching in Philosophy at the University of British Columbia
- Shannon Salter, Chair of the Civil Resolution Tribunal and Adjunct Professor at the University of British Columbia, Allard School of Law
- Brian Saunders, Q.C., Director of Public Prosecutions and head of the Public Prosecution Service of Canada (PPSC) from 2009 to 2016
- Thomas Schonhoffer, Q.C., Counsel for Saskatchewan Lawyers’ Insurance Association Inc.
- Kayoko Takeuchi, Chief Financial Officer and Vice-President Administrative Services of Douglas College
For more information about CanLII, Lexum or the board please consult the CanLII announcement.